Saturday, November 15, 2008

A gun named Tommy

G’day Rolls,

You could be forgiven for thinking it’s all fuzz pedals and amps stacks in the world of SC. Truth is, the ol’ tune collection is as random as a hobo playing hopscotch in a pair of clogs.

One fuzz-free dude (in the musical sense) I’ve been digging for quite some time is Tommy Guerrero. I first knew old mate as a skateboarder. He’d pop up in the skate vids that formed the backdrop of my teen years. So, it was not surprising really that it was in a skate shop in Shibuya, Tokyo, where I first came across his music. The album was ‘From the Soil to the Soul’ and featured some really cool artwork by Barry McGee. It only took about 30 seconds of skipping through the tracks in-store before I was handing over my hard-earned for it. I’ve since managed to get my greasy mitts on a few more albums of his, and they’re all equally as grouse.

So, punch a hole in a watermelon, stick in a straw and let Tommy’s sounds carry you away to somewhere nice. Like Towradgi.




No comments: